This intensive weekend course is an opportunity to enter the world of knife-making by crafting your own high-carbon steel chef's knife under the guidance of a master craftsman.
Over the course of one weekend, you will forge and use stock-removal techniques to craft the carbon steel blade. Saturday starts with an introduction to the process of knife-making, looking at knife-ergonomics, design and profiling. Students will design their knife and begin work on shaping the blade on the anvil. You will then profile the steel and grinding the primary bevels with the linishing machine. Students will finish off by heat-treating the blade to harden the steel.
Sunday begins by grinding the blade, before a final polish. Handles are shaped and then glued before lunch. After lunch the handles are shaped to comfortably fit your hand then finally sharpened.
This intensive course has a small class size of only 4 people to allow for personalised supervision and is open to students of all experience levels.
Morning tea, insurance, materials, use of tools and equipment, workshop consumables and safety gear.
- Rough forging your blade shape
- Knife ergonomics, design and profiling
- Blade geometry and its various applications
- Stock removal with a linisher to create the blade bevels
- Heat treatment
- Handle materials and fastening techniques
- Knife sharpening
- Lunch is ordered in from a nearby cafe, or you can bring your own.
- All materials will be provided for the completion of the knife. If you wish to bring your own handle material you may and its suitability will be assessed by the tutor running the class.
- Hearing, eye and respiratory protection will be provided.
Gift vouchers are posted using Regular post. If you have purchased a gift voucher and would like Express Post, this will incur an extra fee. To arrange Express Post please email Matt at: email@example.com